The details and duration of each clerkship will be determined in consultation with the professors of the respective medical department, and on the basis of the submitted motivation letter. We will strive to accommodate the wishes of the applicant. Depending on the time of year, there are also departments that cannot accept requests for clerkships, so please let us know your preference for multiple medical departments (2-4). There is no fee for the clerkship, but the living expenses during one's stay must be borne by the clerk.
We have closed application process for the clerkship period of August 2019 to May 2021 due to a large number of applicants.
However, if you are a student of our partner institution and have a strong hope of applying for our clerkship program during this period, please consult us.
Student who hopes to apply for our clerkship program in a period of August 2021 to December 2021, please contact us at least one year in advance and submit the application documents required.
We will close our application process when we have reached our capacity.
Please submit the following application documents:
- a curriculum vitae
- an immunization certificate as prescribed by Kitasato University
- a motivation letter (please state specifically at which medical department(s) you would like to do the clerkship, what you would like to do during the clerkship, what you would like to observe)
- a letter of recommendation from your university
- a copy of your student ID card (with photograph)
- information on your medical practice insurance
- Application Form(19KB)
- a copy of your passport (with photograph)
Please submit the application documents one year prior to the clerkship start date you request to the Kitasato University School of Medicine International Exchange Committee via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
After receiving your request for a clerkship, we will await consent from the medical departments of your choice. When the preferred medical department has consented, please write a motivation letter accordingly and submit the application documents. Please note that it will take about 3 or 4 months for an application to be formally accepted by the medical department, the dean of the School of Medicine, and the International Exchange Committee. If a notification of acceptance is required by a specific date in order to obtain a visa, please consult with our staff at the time of application.
There is a dormitory for exchange students on the Sagamihara Campus of Kitasato University. Students who wish to make use of this dormitory should notify us as soon as possible of the period of stay after obtaining consent from the medical department of choice.
- the fee is ¥1,200 per night (medical exchange students only, please pay in cash)
- the dormitory is not equipped with a kitchen, but you can boil water and use the microwave oven
- there is a communal washing machine
- each room is furnished with a bed, cabinet, and television
- each room has a private bath and toilet
- there is no internet access in the dormitory, but you can access the internet from the computers in the Media Room (M1, 3rd floor) and in the medical library (M1, 2nd floor).
Use of the dormitory is optional. Alternatively, you can also stay at a (business) hotel in the vicinity of the university or of the nearby stations Sagami-Ōno and Sagamihara.
Upon completion of the clerkship, you will receive 1 English and 1 Japanese copy each of a certificate as prescribed by Kitasato University School of Medicine. If your university requires a specific certificate or an evaluation, please notify us in advance.
Please submit a report (approximately 2 pages A4) within 1 week of completing your clerkship to the members of the Kitasato University School of Medicine International Exchange Committee. Please note that the certificate will not be issued if you fail to submit this report.